President Muhammadu Buhari, has been challenged to explain to Nigerians how he ended up running the most woeful administration in Nigeria rather than wasting precious energy to rationalise the 2023 election both local and international observers had adjudged as manifestly flawed.
Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in a riposte to the comment of the President last week, where he told visiting All Progressives Congress (APC) governors that Atiku and other opposition candidates lost to Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu of the APC, because they were overconfident and relied heavily on the help of foreigners.
Buhari, had also told his visitors that the former Vice President and others had no chance of winning the February 25 presidential election, because they did not mobilise enough unlike the APC, which went down to the grassroots to connect with the people.
But Atiku, while calling out the President, told him that there were many things he should be explaining to Nigerians, particularly his disastrous outing in eight years, where Nigeria became the poverty capital of the world during the period.
Atiku, in a statement, signed by Paul Ibe, his spokesman,depicted Buhari as breasting the tape for being the most irresponsible government in Nigeria on account of breaking its promises, which he crowned with conducting the worst election, using the Independent National Electoral Commission Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu.
The statement, read in full: “We have read with disgust the shameful efforts by the Muhammadu Buhari administration in playing the role of chief marketing officer of the electoral heist deliberately orchestrated to keep the ruling All Progressives Congress in power against the wishes of Nigerians.
“Starting from President Muhammadu Buhari himself when he made a remark that will forever remain in infamy while hosting some governors of his party, and alleged “the opposition lost the election due to overconfidence and complacency,” we have seen a pattern whereby senior officials of government are subtly bullying the judiciary to submission.
“While it is generally acknowledged that the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has a notoriety of acting busybody, it is ridiculous that the Minister will take a cue from his boss to weigh in on a matter that is already before the courts. The Muhammadu Buhari-led APC government has already breasted the tape for being the most irresponsible government in Nigeria on account of breaking its promises.
“Whereas President Buhari and his appointee INEC chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu had promised Nigerians and the entire world of conducting a credible, free and fair 2023 general election wherein technology will be deployed to track and protect every single ballot, we have seen how woefully this administration failed to deliver on its promises.
“We will not wish to explain much on the depravity that trailed the conduct of the 2023 general election since it remains a matter before the judiciary. However, it is important to caution the APC and, especially, senior officials of the current administration to desist from making commentaries that portend as subtle acts of bullying against the judicial processes that is currently putting the legality of the last election into trial.
“If officials of the Buhari government must explain anything within their remaining days, let it be about telling Nigerians how they failed on their promises including issues of naira redesign; destruction instead of creation of jobs; the pervading state of insecurity and divisions along ethno-religious and political lines; galloping inflation and high cost of living; removing the corruption around the issues of fuel subsidy and their latest promise of conducting a national census, which, typically, they have failed to deliver upon.They must also explain to Nigerians why the country that they are leaving behind before going back to Niger Republic is the poverty capital of the world.”