Gruesome Murder: Monarch burnt to death in Ogun

The village head (Baale) of Olowe Gbagura in Abeokuta North Local Council of Ogun State, Chief Akin Muheedeen, has been burnt to death by yet-to-be-identified persons.

Muheedeen was murdered barely a month after the Olu of Agodo, Oba Ayinde Odetola, was killed and burnt to death in Ewekoro Local Council of the state.

The Guardian learnt that the community head had gone out to observe the Islamic morning prayer (Subhi), when the fire was discovered within his compound.

According to family sources, the traditional leader was killed by unknown persons, who allegedly broke a window to gain access to where the man was assassinated.

The assailants, the source said, set the Baale on fire after killing him.

It was also gathered that the deceased Baale had an issue with some people over land matters.

The source said: “He was recently arrested and arraigned for his alleged involvement in a tussle with some individuals claiming ownership of land he was equally laying claim to.

“The village head was expected to appear in court on March 15, but he commenced amicable resolution of the matter before his death on Monday morning.”

One of his wives, Silifat, who confirmed the incident, said she was returning from the mosque at about 6:00 a.m. when she saw fire billowing from their compound.

“When I saw the fire, I shouted, I didn’t know what was happening. I rushed down, only to discover that my husband was already dead. We later found out that a window at the back of the house was broken. We didn’t know who killed him,” Silifat said.

His second wife, Iyabode, said she slept in the same room with her husband, saying her husband left the room at dawn to urinate and pray as usual.


“He used to pray every morning, so he went out at about 6:00 a.m. to urinate and prepare for prayer. After about 15 minutes, I heard my senior wife shouting, ‘fire, fire’. I rushed out to discover that it was Baale that was on fire. He didn’t go out with fire or matches. We don’t know who did this,” Iyabode explained.

Speaking, the Seriki of Olowe, Chief Kazeem Dauda, while condemning the incident, explained that there was an issue between the Baale and some individuals.

“Few days ago, I was here with him to encourage him about the case in court. Some people have been claiming ownership of his land. He was even arrested and granted bail in court. He was supposed to be in court again March 15. He was a gentleman. This is the first time he would have an issue with anyone.

“I got a call this morning that he burnt himself to death. I said, ‘how come?’ But when I got here, we discovered that the window was broken. He couldn’t have burnt himself like that,” the Seriki added.



The Guardian


Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button