General News

Locals raze Fulani settlement in Sagamu over alleged kidnapping

Access Bank

Angry residents on Monday stormed Iraye village in Sagamu, Sagamu Local Government Area of Ogun State, and razed a settlement occupied by some Fulanis over alleged kidnapping activities in the area.

The Fulanis were alleged to have been kidnapping indigenes for well over two months, demanding a ransom payment to secure their release.

In a video clip that went viral on Tuesday morning, some voices were heard claiming to be responsible for the burning of the settlements following the kidnap of an old woman.

It was learnt that two persons were missing while one injured following the attack.

When contacted, the State Chairman of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), Abdulmumin Ibrahim confirmed the incident.

He said information at his disposal had it that some residents razed the Fulani settlement behind Mosinmi depot of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) in the town at about 9.00 pm.

“Some people called me in respect of the incident last night that Fulani settlement was razed down at a village in Sagamu. They said the incident was as a result of a reported kidnapping case.

“Those affected have run away from the community. I was informed that two persons are missing. But they can’t say whether they have taken a cover or they have died in the attack.

“I don’t have details yet. I will get back to you as soon as I am fully briefed,” Ibrahim said.

While the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi also confirmed the development.

Oyeyemi said normalcy had been restored in the area.

He stated: “They called the place Iraye. Some people heard that some Fulani herdsmen kidnapped someone on his farm.

“They went there to set ablaze the settlement. One Fulani man was injured and is in the hospital but normalcy has been restored.”

 

Nigerian Tribune

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close