The Environment

500 killed by flooding, over 1.4 million affected, FG confirms

The Federal Government on Tuesday revealed that 500 people have died as a result of the flooding across the country.

 

It said the flood has so far wreaked havoc in 31 States of the Federation and the FCT with over 1.4million persons affected.

 

The Federal Government also said several farmlands and houses have been damaged due to the impact of the flooding.

 

The government however said it was early to estimate the economic loss since the impact is still being felt.

 

The Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Dr. Nasir Sani-Gwarzo disclosed these while giving updates on the recent flooding.

 

He said the recently approved National Flood Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan for Nigeria document by FEC will guide stakeholders in mitigating the impact of the flood.

 

He said: “Over 500 people are reported dead. 1,411,051 persons have been affected. The displaced persons that have moved out of their location are up to 790,254. About 1,546 persons that were displaced are injured.

 

“Furthermore, 44,099 houses are partially damaged; 45,249 houses were totally damaged and 76,168 hectares of farmland are partially damaged while 70,566 hectares of farmland are completely destroyed by the great deluge,” he added.

 

On efforts made to curb the impact, he said: “At this scale, we are taking every necessary action to bring relief to the people affected.

 

“NEMA has so provided relief support to over 315,000 displaced persons across the flood disaster hotspots where state capacities have been overwhelmed.

 

“Many communities have been affected but there is still prediction that many more communities may be affected especially along the line of River Benue, River Niger and down to the ocean.

 

“We are very much aware of what is happening and we are prepared to reduce the impact and also to make sure that places that have not been affected get some relief.

 

“The impact of the flood will be reduced to a minimum and more lives will be saved and we seek public support in ensuring that the damage is not further worsened,” he said.

 

He added that, “We have come up with three approaches for the future. One is what are the immediate actions that will be taken by the respective agencies? What are the short terms measures that would be taken by the agencies responsible and then long-term actions.

 

“Fortunately for us, the National Flood Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan for Nigeria has just been approved by the Federal Executive Council and it contains all the details of the roadmap. So, we are very clear on what to do and we have a book that will guide us. The document will be put to good use by the agencies,” he emphasised.

 

On the economic loss, he said: “When an event is evolving, you do not have a complete analysis of what has been damaged. However, damage and loss assessment for farmlands, poultry facilities, livestock and fisheries as a result of the large-scale inundation is ongoing. The estimate will come in later but at least, we know what has been damaged.”

 

On whether states were not informed of the prediction, he said: “The prediction and mapping have reached a level where we could pinpoint specific states, LGAs and communities and because disaster management is on the concurrent list, states and LGAs affected have been formally written to ahead of the impact.

 

“Meetings have been held between Mr. President and the governors and the minister has attended meetings with the governors to tell them about the specific communities and villages.

 

“I have all the exhibit of letters that have been sent to those states telling them that the rainfall will be on the high side. So, all the predictions increased and the communities were communicated through their governors.

 

“Beyond prediction, we proffered solution and many states know what to do. So, a good portion of the response is at the state level,” he said.

 

He also said the military assisted in reaching areas that are not easily accessed due to the volume of water, adding that “moving the displaced person has been both easy and difficult. For areas where the water level is high, with the help of the military, we have been able to ship supplies either by military boats or their aircraft and NEMA has been on top of that.”

 

On the release of water from Lagdo dam, he said: “We have an MoU between Nigeria and Cameroon on how the processes and the release of the water would go so that it will not cost too much damage to the countries.We have in-house challenges and we have relationship issues that we will need to improve upon but necessary action is being taken including bilateral talks daily beyond writing to ensure things are coordinated.”

 

 

(The Nation)

 

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close